A major threat to plants grown hydroponically, both indoor and outdoor is a “root rot”.
As the name suggests, it’s a condition where the roots tend to rot due to over exposure to water. Bacteria, fungi, and mold invade the roots under such damp conditions and cause them to rot. Well, if you see your plants wilting gradually and the leaves turning yellow, then you must check for root rot. The affected roots appear black and feel mushy and they might fall off on touching. Then, subsequently the plant dies. Root rot problems become more persistent in hydroponic systems (mostly in Deep Water Culture) especially due to lack of proper aeration. This is because the roots are already submerged in water and moreover, deficiency of oxygen accentuates the process of rotting.
There’s no exact remedy to revive plants affected by root rot, except taking preventive measures to protect your plants.
Let’s see how premium root builders fix the problem of root rot and learn how to treat root rot for your hydroponic plants:
- Root Builders are exclusively meant for protecting plants against root rot. Since inadequate aeration is one of the key reasons behind this problem, Root Builders are formulated with different species of Bacillus, which is a beneficial bacterium capable of aerating the nutrient solution. This way oxygen penetrates deeper into the roots, which in turn are protected from rotting.
- All you have to do is, feed the plants during early vegetative phase and early flowering. You can prepare your nutrient solution with root builders, such as Root Wizard from Emerald Harvest, and administer it to the plants during cloning and transplantation as well. Apart from protecting plants against root rot, the microbes contained in Root Builders also capture nitrogen and convert it to bio-available form that can be absorbed easily by plants. This way plants derive more nutrition and hence experience better growth.
Here are some more tips to further help you prevent your plants from root rot:
- The next and one of the most significant precautionary steps is, to check that the roots are not stagnantly drowned in water. Change your reservoir water regularly and maintain its flow.
- Keep your grow area, containers, equipments, etc. absolutely clean. You can use disinfectants like alcohol to kill bacteria. This will protect your system and plants from external microbial infection.
- Make sure that rotten and deceased plant debris does not fall into the nutrient solution as they form breeding ground for microbes harmful for plants.
- You must aerate the nutrient solution and ensure that your plants are receiving oxygen adequately. This can be achieved by submerging an air pump or an air stone in the solution and keeping an account of the Dissolved Oxygen (DO).
Therefore, try Root Builders to insure your plants are free from root rot and see them growing healthily with vigor and beauty!